Thursday 4 September 2014

Entry #7 ~ Feathering My Empty Nest...

“Language... has created the word 'loneliness' to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word 'solitude' to express the glory of being alone.”       Paul Tillich





Four days.
Well, four-and-just-a-little-bit-more days to be slightly less than 100% precise.

It really hasn’t sunk in yet; perhaps it will take a little more time to feel the very real sense that something is missing. They say you can’t miss something (or someone) if they remain in your day-to-day and are in front of you more often than not. She’s been away on trips with her father for longer than this; this week, although feeling melancholy from a more intellectual than emotional perspective, has been rather ‘smooth sailing’.

I’ve been keeping myself occupied with work and domestic goddess duties.
I’ve been spending time riding out on the open road.
I’ve been enjoying not having to build my schedule around anyone else but me.

Yes, I know it’s not going to last forever, but I’m determined not to find myself ugly-face crying in the bathroom mirror at two in the morning and bemoaning the fact that I am ‘all alone’.

It’s not true, you know. That whole ‘empty nest’ pervasive sadness that is often rumoured to linger in the air for days and weeks after the youngest child leaves the nest? I was dreading that particular special brand of parental despair I’d heard so much about over the past several months.
Maybe I’m not doing this whole Empty Nester thing right…


Is it wrong to feel a sense of absolute giddiness and pleasure at the fact that I bought a box of Fruit Loops and am relishing the sheer joy at the thought that I have it all to myself? Fruit Loops! It’s like I can’t wait to go to bed at night because hitting the sheets means I am that much closer to breakfast.

Am I acting just a tad selfish at recognizing that I don’t have to share my car with anyone else and that I can come and go as I please…and that I love it?

I suppose I could be considered just a little odd for liking the fact that I can now walk from the bathroom after my morning shower wrapped in nothing but a goofy smile and not worrying about anyone coming up the stairs and catching me do it.




Sometimes, it’s the little things that can bring on the biggest smiles, but make no mistake, my friends; there’s a lot of little things that are starting to add up and make it painfully obvious to this mother’s heart of mine that a new phase of life has begun…

There’s not 8 pairs of shoes (only two of which would be mine) at the back door anymore.
The house at night is exactly as it was when I left for work in the morning.
My first grocery order for one didn’t include someone else’s favourite cookies or a selection of interesting and odd-looking fruit. 

To be honest, things don’t really feel any different at this end yet. I’m used to having a lot of time to myself, mostly the result of a combination of factors including her work schedule, my time out on the road, and a healthy respect for each other’s privacy.

Things have changed far more for the kidlet (at this point) than they have for me. Her list of adventures and series of ‘firsts’ is far longer than mine. At this stage of the game, my little moments of pleasure are coming from simple things like counting down to the season premiere of Sons of Anarchy and the start of the hockey season. I’m making ‘unplanned plans’ for Thanksgiving weekend and preparing for my first ever Fall Colours Road Trip on my motorcycle.



Motivational speaker and author, Barbara de Angelis, wrote that women need real moments of solitude and self-reflection to balance out how much of ourselves we give away. I suppose she’s right, but much of the joy in my life has been the result of the pouring of my love and affection out into the world and into my two girls. From heading into Hamilton to attend football games to exploring waterfalls to baking up a storm in the kitchen, my girls and I developed into great friends and partners-in-crime. I really don’t see that changing much except for the ‘whats’ and ‘whens’ and ‘hows’ of the situation, and that’s perfectly fine with me. Adventure is created in how you approach life, and twenty-three years of being a parent has taught me that you can pretty much find adventure in anything as long as you retain your sense of humour.

I wish I had something more profound to tell you.
I wish that the changes this week seemed more earth-shattering, more life-altering, more how-am-I-going-to-get-through-this kinds of feelings.
The truth of the matter is that it either hasn’t sunk in yet or things really aren’t all that different.

Maybe it’s because she was really ready to take this leap into the next phase of her life.

Maybe it’s because I was.

She seems to be thriving up there in the wilds of Waterloo.
She seems to be finding a healthy balance between insecurity and independence.
She seems to be missing me and the cat just enough and not too much.

It’s the same at this end.

I guess that means I did my job right.

I guess it also means that she raised me just as much as I raised her.

We’re doing fine, the kidlet n’ me.
We’re finding our way.
We’re looking forward to a ‘mother and child reunion’ in a couple of weeks.

Until then, I’m going to enjoy and celebrate my clean house, my evenings to myself, and my undisturbed, early-morning cup of coffee.

After that? Bring on the chaos and the clutter and a weekend full of laughter and laundry and love.  

This empty nest thing isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, there’s a bowl of Fruit Loops calling my name…



No comments:

Post a Comment